We often get asked the question; “is it better to buy my company provided life insurance or buy life insurance on my own?” As with most things insurance-related, there are big variations in life insurance coverage and price. We recommend you consider looking at an individual plan first. Let’s look at some of the differences between group life insurance plans and individual plans.
- Group plans tend to have higher premiums and can’t be tailored to your needs
- Group plans have a limited amount of coverage you may buy and choice of insurers is limited
- Group insurance is not portable, you can’t take it with you if you change jobs
- You have the option of higher limits
- The policy is portable and can be adjusted as your life needs change
- You can shop around to get the best deal